Filipinos love visita iglesia every time the holy week is in. Families go out together to visit various churches in the Philippines. But this time, perhaps, it’s time that you give time to check out La Union for your semana santa experience this 2017. The province takes pride in its Spanish-era cathedrals, especially the ones in San Juan and San Fernando. So to guide you in your visita iglesia in La Union, here are the top 7 churches you can visit:
- Saint John the Baptist Church. This is located in MacArthur Highway, San Juan and probably the most popular church in La Union. The unique architectural structure of the church is captivating. Aside from visita iglesia, it’s also perfect for weddings and anniversary celebrations.
- Saint William the Hermit Cathedral. This is located in Barangay II, Poblacion, San Fernando. It’s the main attraction in the entire diocese of San Fernando, La Union. The structure was erected in 1970 to honor Saint William the Hermit. When you see the place, you’ll know why the locals are proud of this structure.
- St. Michael the Archangel Church. Also known as Bacnotan church, this is located in Bacnotan, La Union. This church is built in 1817-1819 and was dedicated to Saint Michael the Archangel. The overall architecture is impressive as local and foreign tourists love to take pictures in front of the famed cathedral. So why not include this in your La Union semana santa escapade?
- Shrine of Our Lady of Namacpacan and Saint Catherine of Alexandria Parish. This is located in the town of Luna. The church resembles a woman-like design just as beautiful as the honored saints. It was built in 1786 and stood despite the calamities that hit the province. And now, you’ll love the sweet look of this cathedral during your visita iglesia in La Union.
- San Nicolas de Tolentino Church. This is located in Balaoan. Another great place to visit this Lenten season because of the century-old beauty of the church. Go early and attend the mass with your family so you can best enjoy the exquisite scene offered by this religious building in La Union. Whether you’re going here with your family or friends, rest assured that your experience will be unforgettable.
- Pindangan Ruins. This is located in San Fernando, La Union. If you love Cagsawa Ruins in Albay, you will surely be impressed by this landmark as well. The sight of the ruins will take you to another era when this was still beautifully standing. Also, the natural setting is perfect for some family pictures.
- Basilica Minore of Our Lady of Charity. This is located in Agoo. It’s so big when you get inside. The spectacular stained glass windows are indeed a sight to behold. When you go here, you will surely feel the real essence of visiting churches during semana santa. So if you’re heading to La Union this holy week, don’t forget to check out this beautiful place.
We hope that your semana santa in La Union will be a fulfilling one! To make your stay more solemn and comfortable, you may search for La Union Hotels. There is a range of luxury resorts and budget hostels perfect for bakasyonistas!